Conventions used in the code

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM
Can someone please explain the conventions used in the code, such as:

Shp
IDataModelUC & IDataModelSC <- What do the UC and SC refer to? Secure Channel / Unsecure Channel??
Sitka

Finally, the Provisioning and Setup code appears to be some somewhat tightly coupled with the Litware application (forgive me if I am wrong I am just looking at the code, but I am setting up a Virtaul Server as we speak to start running the app ;)) - is there any way to decouple them and simply register applications in the base system?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM
Edited Jun 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM

ccyvas wrote:
Can someone please explain the conventions used in the code, such as:

Shp
IDataModelUC & IDataModelSC <- What do the UC and SC refer to? Secure Channel / Unsecure Channel??
Sitka

Finally, the Provisioning and Setup code appears to be some somewhat tightly coupled with the Litware application (forgive me if I am wrong I am just looking at the code, but I am setting up a Virtaul Server as we speak to start running the app ;)) - is there any way to decouple them and simply register applications in the base system?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

You are right about UC and SC.

SHP origninally stood for "SaaS Hosting Platform". It's the name we gave to the underlying infrastructure where LW runs (the "hoster"). All SHP namespaces imply that those are not "Litware" specific components but rather the underlying substrate that all hosted apps run on.

On provisioning, I would agree with you. We haven't really focused on that aspect of software delivered as a service. It should probably be closer to the PoC we wrote with MPS. I don't think a hoster will allow you to interact directly with some of their components (e.g. DNS, IIS settings, etc). LW should issue a request, submit the provisioning request and then have the "SHP" deal with it.

However, we needed provisioning, and it is in one place anyway, so we believed it was an acceptable "poetic license".
Jun 12, 2008 at 8:32 PM
Thank you for the clarifications. I'm looking at this from a combined perspective - both a hoster and an ISV. While we write applications, we also offer hosting services for the applications, so I am looking at Litware to serve as a base platform / model that will allow us to more easily administer application "registration", deployment, and tenant provisioning.