Suggestions

Topics: Architecture
Jun 16, 2008 at 6:06 PM
I created a Win2K3 with IIS virtual machine so that I could run Litware, only to find out that the current version appears to be built for Win2K8 and IIS 7. Out of curiosity, I looked up how easy it is to determine what version of IIS is running and it turns out it's just a Registry Key. Can't we spin up the correct VirtualDirectoryProvisioner based on the registry key? Also, it would be fairly easy to add a config flag for which data model the user would like to use - SQL or SSDS. Are there reasons these things were not done in this way?
Jun 16, 2008 at 8:20 PM

ccyvas wrote:
I created a Win2K3 with IIS virtual machine so that I could run Litware, only to find out that the current version appears to be built for Win2K8 and IIS 7. Out of curiosity, I looked up how easy it is to determine what version of IIS is running and it turns out it's just a Registry Key. Can't we spin up the correct VirtualDirectoryProvisioner based on the registry key? Also, it would be fairly easy to add a config flag for which data model the user would like to use - SQL or SSDS. Are there reasons these things were not done in this way?

Thanks for the feedback. The "dependecy checker" tool should verify the pre-requisites for you, but I guess it'd be too late in your case. We should be more explicit in the online docs as to what platform requirements we have, so I'll update that.

Regarding your question, there's no other reason than simply a matter of scope & resources. The high order bit for this release was: UX enhancements & SSDS integration; and those where the two areas we focused on primarily. As an example, the config switch is implemented showing how to choose between SSDS Online/Offline; but as you correctly point out, not for the two DataModels. As you say, it really shouldn't be that difficult to do, there's nothing "special" about it. We believed (maybe wrongly) that the things we decided to show yielded a higher value.