Creating a new application

Topics: Architecture
Feb 28, 2007 at 5:18 PM
Edited Feb 28, 2007 at 5:19 PM
I have been looking in depth at the Web Client Software Factory recently and I see the benefits it brings in certain areas. Very specifically, I see opportunity to use it for a new application I am working on wherein I have different page flows depending on certain event types. In version 1, I want to be able to use it to create page flows for different user (tenant) event types.

However, where I want to end up is with something like LitwareHR wherein the tenant can define data extensions and workflows (page flows), not to forget the data centre provisioning. But this is a larger job and will be version 2.

But it leads me to ask a few questions:

Did you consider the Web Client Software Factory (Composite Application Block) architecture in architecting LitwareHR and how it might be utilised?

What would be the best advice for incorprating the techniques you use in LitwareHR into an application architected from Web Client Software Factory guidance automation?

In particular I am wondering how the Channels you use would fit into this?

Finally, do you have an explanation of the Channels to be able to understand them a bit better please?

Many thanks
Brian
Mar 6, 2007 at 5:01 PM
We considered and indeed we are using patterns like MVP that are recommended by the factory. Unfortunately by the time we developed the application WCSF was still under development and we didn’t make the feature cut. Dependency injection (CWAB) might be beneficial for LitwareHR architecture and we are looking forward to incorporate it.

WCSF is a web framework that helps you write better web (client) applications. LitwareHR is an holistic solution that includes more than a client. On the client side you will find the gateways or channels. These channels are WCF proxies to access the services. From the WCSF perspective these gateways can be seen as “client side services” in the sense of CWAB. You will use these services from within your presenters injecting them by using ServiceDependency. Is this answer your question about channels?

Thanks!
Ariel Schapiro
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ariel
Mar 6, 2007 at 7:10 PM
Ariel,

Many thanks. Yes, it does answer my question. Once again, many thanks

Brian